Denim Day 2023!
Join us for DENIM DAY @ CAROLINA on April 26!
Denim Day is a day for people around the globe to express their support for all those who have been impacted by sexual violence. It is a day to stand up for survivors and fight back against victim blaming and shaming. And this year, we're bringing Denim Day to UNC!
On April 26th, join us in wearing denim to show your support for survivors! Show off your denim outfit on Instagram with the hashtag #DenimDayUNC.
History of Denim Day
Denim Day launched nearly a quarter of a century ago as a silent protest against sexual violence. In the early 1990s, a young woman in Rome was assaulted by her driving instructor. The woman pressed charges and the instructor was convicted of sexual assault. However, when the case was appealed several years later, the presiding judge overturned the conviction on the grounds that the victim’s tight jeans were an implicit show of consent. This decision became known as the “jeans alibi.”
As a show of solidarity with the victim and all survivors of sexual assault, female members of the Italian Parliament wore jeans to the Italian Supreme Court to protest the injustice. The silent protest gained international attention leading the non-profit organization, Peace Over Violence, to launch an annual rape prevention campaign - Denim Day.
Denim Day @ Carolina
Denim Day @ Carolina is a student-driven initiative led by VPAS Peer Educator Michelle Breit ('23) and VPAS Intern Gabby Walton ('23).
Sexual violence is an issue that affects all members of the Carolina Community. According to the 2019 AAU Campus Climate Survey, 1 in 5 UNC students has reported experiencing sexual assault or unwanted sexual touching during their time at UNC. For undergraduate women, that number is 1 in 3.
Denim Day is a chance for all UNC students, faculty, and staff to show their support for those who have experienced sexual violence. By joining together and wearing denim on April 26th, we can say that here at Carolina, we believe survivors.
Denim Day Events - April 2023
VPAS is hosting a series of events throughout the month of April leading up to our DENIM DAY celebration on April 26th!
Come see us outside of Davis Library to decorate a denim patch for our Denim Day Quilt! We'll also have denim day stickers, candy, and information about support resources on campus and in the community! We'll be tabling on the following dates from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM:
- Monday, April 3
- Friday, April 14
- Friday, April 21
- Monday, April 24 (in the Pit!)
- Tuesday, April 25
- Wednesday, April 26 - Denim Day!!
On April 26th, we'll unveil the completed Denim Day Quilt! Here's where you can see the quilt:
- 10:00 to 2:00 - The quilt will be on display outside of Davis Library!
- 3:00 - Join us for an official unveiling ceremony in the Legacy Lounge on the 3rd floor of the Union!
How You Can Help!
We'll need your help to make Denim Day @ Carolina a success! Here's what you can do:
- Wear denim on April 26th!! Break out your best denim outfit to show your support for survivors!
- Show off your Denim Day outfit on social media using the hashtag #DenimDayUNC
- Donate your used jeans, denim jackets, shorts, etc. to help us make our Denim Day Quilt. If it's made of denim, we'll take it! (check out our list of drop-off locations below)
- Make a denim patch for the Denim Day Quilt! Stop by our table outside of Davis Library between 10am and 2pm on April 3, 14, 21, 24, or 25 to decorate your patch!
- Tell your friends about Denim Day!!
Donate Your Denim! - Drop-off locations
Want to donate your used denim? Look for our collection bins at the following locations:
- The VPAS Office at the Stone Center, Suite 101
- Meantime Cafe at the Campus Y
- Student Wellness at SASB South
- Student Union, info desk under the TV
Please make sure that your denim is washed and ready to be turned into patches for the quilt!